See mormon.org/missionary-work to learn more about LDS missions.

Monday, October 26, 2015

What a week

Wow, this week was probably the best one yet. We had so many awesome experiences, but I can't do it justice. Even my journal only has a part of them.

But before I get to a few, I thought I'd share that Elder Rodrigues and I are developing some sweet abilites of throwing small objects at the lightswitch to turn the light on from our desks... It's a useful life skill.

I also learned a new definition of "livre arbitrio" (agency). We were teaching the Plan of Salvation to a lady (the same one who conversationally sang to us) and I asked "o que a senhora entende sobre livre arbitrio?" (what do you understand about agency?) to which she responded "É o Pai, e o Filho, e o Espírito Santo." (It's the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost). Elder Rodrigues began to explain that agency is our power and abilitly to make choices, and she interrupted him by saying "Por isso eu falei o Pai, e o Filho, e o Espírito Santo." (That's what I said, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.) He glanced at me and I at him, and he couldn't hold in a tiny burst of a laugh. I only was able to remain together by moving on to a different part of the lesson. It was quite amusing.

We had the amazing opportunity to go to the temple as a mission on Tuesday! (We almost missed our session.... We left our apartment at 5:45 for the 9:00 session, and got there at 8:55.... that was the fastest I've ever changed hahaha) It was wonderful. I love the temple

So we were able to teach some really cool lessons, where the Spirit was soooo strong. I'm so excited for the future here. We've been focusing on less-actives recently, and with one lady we read 2 Nephi 31, invited her to church, and then asked her to say the closing prayer. As she prayed, we both could feel that it was the first prayer she'd said in a looooong time, and she choked up in the middle, then bawled as she finished. It's a beautiful thing to witness someone speak with God after years of silence, and remember the relationship that they used to cherish, but had simply abandoned. There was also an entire family that came to church on Sunday, and they said they realized they had missed it and are back to stay!

Also one of our investigators went to church alone! We were on our way to get her, but then we saw her walking in the distance in front of us and followed her.... we caught up to her at the bus stop and accompanied her the rest of the way, but we were so happy she was already going to go on her own! The difficulty now is to get her to quit smoking.... Thanks to the Atonement, it's more than just possible.

I love you all a bunch!!!!

Elder Merrill





No comments:

Post a Comment